the Channel Candidate receive rejection after rejection. But it's not always because of the missing one qualification: Quite often, banal formal reasons are to blame for the fact that the Application is sorted out. But what do people really care about?
- Application 2go: It's not that easy
- The first impression counts - even when applying to startups
- Typos often mean the end for applicants
- Applicants: Requests for cancellations allowed
- Energetic or modest?
- Who likes to be criticized?
- What does the application say?
- Stand out positively when applying - don't stand out unpleasantly
- Here are the current top 10 absolute no-go's:
- The worst mistakes in the application
- Keyword Active Sourcing: Use social networks
- 10 Don'ts: What do HR managers pay particular attention to when applying?
- Top books on the subject
- Read text as PDF
- Advice on success, goal achievement or marketing
- Book eCourse on Demand
- Skate eBook as desired
Application 2go: It's not that easy
Especially with start-ups and young internet companies, application seems easy and relaxed. Example Twitter: While other companies styled themselves, cool ones emphasized ideas for a Recruitingcome up with videos that seem to always outdo each other in terms of wit and esprit, but cost enormous sums of money, Twitter came across as emphatically simple: with a homemade low-budget video and partly in 80s aesthetics, with which it find out about the recruiting videos of others Corporate makes fun.
Of course, this can only be afforded by a company that is already considered cool by its target group. And with the Employees are also quite naturally convinced of their work. Then you can also make fun of your own acting talent. Motto: Authenticity is Trumpf.m And the Success the target group was not long in coming, as the well-known blogger Michael Seemann (@mspro) announced on Twitter: “You really get excited to work on twitter”.
The first impression counts - even when applying to startups
The books on the subject (advertising)
Sounds super easy for applicants, right? Not even close. Because who now thinks: "Maybe that's already the new, short Twitter application? It doesn’t really need much more – does it?” is unfortunately wrong. Because even if such videos suggest that you can apply for a job on the side, pay particular attention to start-ups, hip tech companies and newWork-Companies recruiters still focus on quality. Especially there, because in these companies it is even more important that every employee really fits the corporate culture.
And how is this desired quality expressed? Mostly through the first impression. And that is often the first impression with Formalia. What really bothers HR managers in the vast majority of cases are, for example, spelling errors: annoying but true. In fact, they appear in every fifth application. More on that in a moment.
Typos often mean the end for applicants
But while applicants often believe that it doesn't matter, they are a knockout criterion for the majority of companies because they suspect disinterest in the company or generally sloppy work behind them, as survey results repeatedly show. Only in the rejection these reasons do not appear - and therefore the mistakes happen again and again.
No job candidate should allow himself more than one typo, otherwise his application will immediately end up on the rejection pile for many HR managers. From three errors sortieren most of the application documents. It is particularly embarrassing from the HR department's point of view if the contact person is misspelled. Surveys show that only very few HR managers didn't care about spelling mistakes in the application.
Applicants: Requests for cancellations allowed
Discounts for your success (advertising)!
Applicants often have this Problemthat you are sitting on red-hot coals waiting for an acceptance or rejection. In your Eyes only one thing helps: ask. But be careful: a HR manager could be fooled by asking questions too early fast annoyed feel.
Surveys show that many HR professionals recommend a wait of at least two weeks, and some even wait three to four weeks for a reasonable time. Only a handful of people think that you can inquire after just one week, while others think it better if you do not ask.
Energetic or modest?
A few years ago, applicants learned, if possible confident appear in order to impress potential employers and yourself Respect To provide. "Klotzen instead of spills" was the motto. Today things are different: modesty is in times of Crisis asked.
"I wrote to them quite vigorously about what I think you could improve and get the job that way," says one applicant in a guide about his recipe for success. It also sounds logical at first: The applicant shows expertise in this way and convinces with the corresponding Appear. And the company knows right away that it is getting a committed employee.
Who likes to be criticized?
But the thing has a flaw: apart from the fact that in times of crisis and job cuts, modesty is welcomed by applicants, applicants who appear like this disregard something completely different: not a potential one Executive is often criticized.
For example, if you write in your application: "The spelling mistakes on your site show volatility, only I can help you" will probably say several negative things about the applicant:
What does the application say?
who to”confident” occurs, quickly gambles away all options. In any case, it is better to proceed more moderately and, for example, to emphasize why you really want to work in the company and what made a positive impression on you. With these 3 points, applicants can only negative stand out:
- He is opinionated, overestimates himself and thus makes an unpleasant impression per se - nobody with whom one likes to work together.
- The applicant also overestimates his market value: Correcting spelling errors (or a comparable mundane activity) is not a specialized knowledge that only he masters (otherwise this may look different in the technical field). Such activities are often replaced in companies with cheap labor or even free interns.
- The applicant shows that he has no idea about the operating procedures. Volatility, for example, is often not caused by ignorance that the applicant intends to supplement - but the sheer lack of time. Anyone who shines with such an ignorance of the realities of a company has already lost.
Stand out positively when applying - don't stand out unpleasantly
The emphasis is on positively standing out. Not attracting attention at all costs. There are a number of examples of this as well. What was probably the most unusual thing an applicant could do in a Job Interview has done?
Would you like some impressions? Fall asleep? Disappear? There was even one Online- Survey conducted by Harris Interactive in Germany on behalf of CareerBuilder. 269 German managers and human resources experts were surveyed.
Here are the current top 10 absolute no-go's:
The survey publishes a list of the most serious mistakes in job interviews - from the point of view of executives and experts in personnel development.
- Bringing his mother to talk with 43
- Escape to the toilet and never come back.
- Rush the chaplain because you do not have time for a long job interview
- Proximity attempts to the discussion leader.
- Go to his mobile during the call.
- Drill in the nose during the conversation.
- In sports or Schlabberklamotten come - and then say that you feel better in it.
- Specify with competencies where there are none - at a position in IT support you should at least know what "hard disk" and "memory" are.
- Smoking in the middle of a job interview.
- Drunk to talk.
The worst mistakes in the application
In addition to the most unusual gross errors, employers should also specify the most common and most harmful to the job candidate during a job interview.
- 73% of employers cited apparent disinterest as the most damaging mistake an applicant could make during a conversation.
- In second place with 63% were negative comments about the current or previous employer.
- In third place, arrogance ended up with 46%.
- Other mistakes were inappropriate clothing (25%).
- The lack of good and meaningful questions (24%) as well as inaccurate answers (12%) were among the grave minus points.
Keyword Active Sourcing: Use social networks
Even if this is always recommended: The majority of personnel are urgently advised against seeking to justify the rejection. By contrast, in times of active sourcing and social recruiting, applicants are well advised to integrate social networks into the application process and to keep them up-to-date and error-free as well.
Of course there are those who do Internet not yet used for research. They either don't have the time and staff for it, or they believe that the personal Conversation brings more. However, some decision-makers only use the Internet very specifically for the narrowest circle of candidate selection.
10 Don'ts: What do HR managers pay particular attention to when applying?
What do HR managers pay particular attention to? What should you consider when applying to avoid being sorted out immediately? The 10 most important don'ts
- Formalities: Formal sloppiness, eg if date and signature are missing.
- Form: Many decision-makers are disturbed by a non-uniform character.
- Gaps in the CV: It is also a no-go for many when there are gaps in the curriculum vitae.
- Missing attachments: Many people sort out if you have to search for attachments in vain because they have been forgotten.
- Too detailed: Many HR managers do not want to read novels in the office, but want applications that come straight to the point.
- Photos: A bad photo catapults the applications to many recruiters.
- Multiple use: If application documents were reused, this shows disinterest - and quite a few reject the application.
- Spelling mistake: Many decision-makers interfere with spelling mistakes in such a way that the applicant falls through.
- Linguistic style: Not a few people are disturbed by an inappropriate language.
- Wrong contact person: Many recruiters put the application aside immediately if the contact person is spelled wrong or the wrong person!
Top books on the subject
Read text as PDF
Acquire this text as a PDF (only for own use without passing it on according to Terms and conditions): Please send us one after purchase eMail with the desired title supportberufebilder.de, we will then send the PDF to you immediately. You can also purchase text series.
Advice on success, goal achievement or marketing
You have questions about Career, recruiting, personal development or increasing reach? Our AI consultant will help you for 5 euros a month – free for book buyers. We offer special ones for other topics IT services
Book eCourse on Demand
Up to 30 lessons with 4 learning tasks each + final lesson as a PDF download. Please send us one after purchase eMail with the desired title supportberufebilder.de. Alternatively, we would be happy to put your course together for you or offer you a personal, regular one eMail-Course - all further information!
Skate eBook as desired
If our store does not offer you your desired topic: We will be happy to put together a book according to your wishes and deliver it in a format of yours Choice. Please sign us after purchase supportberufebilder.de