Casting 2go: It's not that easy
Especially at StartUps and young internet companies, applying is easy and easy. Twitter, for example: While other companies are styling themselves up, emphasizing cool ideas for a recruiting video that seem to outsmart the wit and esprit, but cost enormous sums of money, Twitter's emphasis was simple and simple: with a home-made low-cost Budget video and partly in 80er years of aesthetics, which makes fun of the recruiting videos of other companies.
Of course, this can only be afforded by a company that is already considered cool by its target group. And where the employees are completely convinced of their work. Then you can also take your own acting talent on the slip. Motto: Authenticity is key. And success with the target group was not long in coming, as the well-known blogger Michael Seemann (@mspro) said on Twitter: "You really get into working on twitter".
The first impression counts - even when applying to startups
Sounds super easy for applicants, doesn't it? Not even close. Because who now thinks: “Maybe that's already the new, short Twitter application? You don't really need much more - do you? ” is wrong. Because even if such videos suggest that advertising can be done on the side, especially in start-ups, hip tech companies and new work companies, HR staff still pay attention to quality. Especially there, because in these companies it is even more important that every employee really fits the corporate culture.
And how is this desired quality expressed? Mostly through the first impression. And that is often the first impression with Formalia. What really bothers HR managers in the vast majority of cases are, for example, spelling errors: annoying but true. In fact, they appear in every fifth application. More on that in a moment.
Typos often mean the end for applicants
But while applicants often believe that it doesn't matter, they are a knockout criterion for the majority of companies because they suspect disinterest in the company or generally sloppy work behind them, as survey results repeatedly show. Only in the rejection these reasons do not appear - and therefore the mistakes happen again and again.
Therefore, no job candidate should allow more than one typing error. Otherwise, his application will be filed immediately with many personnel on the cancellation batch. From three errors, most of the application documents are sorted out. It is particularly embarrassing from the point of view of the personnel departments, if the contact person is misspelled. Surveys show that only very few people were spelled wrong in the application.
Applicants: Requests for cancellations allowed
Candidates often have the problem that you are waiting for a respite or cancellation as if sitting on glowing coals. In her eyes only one thing helps: ask. But beware: A person could feel annoyed by too early an inquiry.
Surveys show that many HR professionals recommend a wait of at least two weeks, and some even wait three to four weeks for a reasonable time. Only a handful of people think that you can inquire after just one week, while others think it better if you do not ask.
Energetic or modest?
A few years ago, applicants learned to act as confidently as possible in order to impress potential employers and gain respect. "Pad instead of spill" was the motto. It looks different today: Modesty is required in times of crisis.
"I wrote to them fairly forcefully what I think you could improve and get the job," says an applicant in a guide about his recipe for success. It sounds logical at first: In this way, the applicant shows technical expertise and convinces with the appropriate manner. And the company knows right away that it will get a dedicated employee.
Who likes to be criticized?
But the thing has a flaw: apart from the fact that in times of crisis and job cuts modesty in applicants is welcome, contraband applicants disregard something quite different: no potential boss is often criticized.
For example, if you write in your application: "The spelling mistakes on your site show volatility, only I can help you" will probably say several negative things about the applicant:
What does the application say?
Anyone who appears to be “self-confident” quickly loses all options. In any case, it is better to proceed more moderately and, for example, to explain why you really want to work in the company and what you noticed positively. Applicants can only be noticed negatively with these 3 points:
- He is opinionated, overestimates himself and thus makes an unpleasant impression per se - nobody with whom one likes to work together.
- The applicant also overestimates his market value: Correcting spelling errors (or a comparable mundane activity) is not a specialized knowledge that only he masters (otherwise this may look different in the technical field). Such activities are often replaced in companies with cheap labor or even free interns.
- The applicant shows that he has no idea about the operating procedures. Volatility, for example, is often not caused by ignorance that the applicant intends to supplement - but the sheer lack of time. Anyone who shines with such an ignorance of the realities of a company has already lost.
Stand out positively when applying - don't stand out unpleasantly
The emphasis is on positively standing out. Not noticeable at all costs. There are also a number of examples for this. What was the oddest thing an applicant did in a job interview?
Would you like a few impressions? Fall asleep? Disappear? An online survey was even carried out by Harris Interactive in Germany on behalf of CareerBuilder. 269 German managers and human resources experts were asked for this.
Here are the current top 10 absolute no-go's:
The survey publishes a list of the most serious mistakes in job interviews - from the point of view of executives and experts in personnel development.
- Bringing his mother to talk with 43
- Escape to the toilet and never come back.
- Rush the chaplain because you do not have time for a long job interview
- Proximity attempts to the discussion leader.
- Go to his mobile during the call.
- Drill in the nose during the conversation.
- In sports or Schlabberklamotten come - and then say that you feel better in it.
- Specify with competencies where there are none - at a position in IT support you should at least know what "hard disk" and "memory" are.
- Smoking in the middle of a job interview.
- Drunk to talk.
The worst mistakes in the application
In addition to the most unusual gross errors, employers should also specify the most common and most harmful to the job candidate during a job interview.
- 73% of employers cited apparent disinterest as the most damaging mistake an applicant could make during a conversation.
- In second place with 63% were negative comments about the current or previous employer.
- In third place, arrogance ended up with 46%.
- Other mistakes were inappropriate clothing (25%).
- The lack of good and meaningful questions (24%) as well as inaccurate answers (12%) were among the grave minus points.
Keyword Active Sourcing: Use social networks
Even if this is always recommended: The majority of personnel are urgently advised against seeking to justify the rejection. By contrast, in times of active sourcing and social recruiting, applicants are well advised to integrate social networks into the application process and to keep them up-to-date and error-free as well.
Of course, there are those who have not yet used the Internet for research. They either have no time and no staff for it, or they believe that personal conversation brings more. However, some decision-makers use the Internet only for the narrowest possible range of candidates.
10 Don'ts: What do HR managers pay particular attention to when applying?
What do HR managers pay particular attention to? What should you consider when applying to avoid being sorted out immediately? The 10 most important don'ts
- Formalities: Formal sloppiness, eg if date and signature are missing.
- Form: Many decision-makers are disturbed by a non-uniform character.
- Gaps in the CV: It is also a no-go for many when there are gaps in the curriculum vitae.
- Missing attachments: Many people sort out if you have to search for attachments in vain because they have been forgotten.
- Too detailed: Many HR managers do not want to read novels in the office, but want applications that come straight to the point.
- Photo: A bad photo catapults the applications to many recruiters.
- Multiple use: If application documents were reused, this shows disinterest - and quite a few reject the application.
- Spelling mistake: Many decision-makers interfere with spelling mistakes in such a way that the applicant falls through.
- Linguistic style: Not a few people are disturbed by an inappropriate language.
- Wrong contact person: Many recruiters put the application aside immediately if the contact person is spelled wrong or the wrong person!
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Read customer feedback and buy a book on this topic at a discount: Do you like this text and want to read more information about it? Buy the right book including this text, buy it here in two languages, as a member even with a 20 percent discount. Would you like to take a look at the book first? You can do this by previewing the book look at and then purchase on the book page.
German edition: ISBN 9783965964105
English version: ISBN 9783965964112 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).