More work satisfaction due to higher salary?
Work satisfaction and motivation are usually associated with the level of salary and the value assessment experienced in everyday life by supervisors and colleagues. The amount of the salary is usually understood as a recognition of the performance and should increase continuously through professional experience, job changes as well as concrete successes over the years.
As far as idealism is concerned, there are also good reasons to question this expectation. Both from the perspective of the workforce and the employee's perspective, there can be comprehensible reasons to think twice about a promotion. Thus, there are some professional groups whose career structure offers little salary in the lower and middle range, and are usually stalled after a career gap.
Selected professional examples
The following table presents the salary data of selected occupational groups, which show a dilemma in the employment biography, both from the perspective of the employees and the staff: the tension between transport, increase in responsibility and salary.
In the selected professions, the first level was chosen with professional and / or disciplinary personnel responsibilities to illuminate the real salary advantage. The call centers, care and education as well as gastronomy provide the basis for further consideration. The salary data are from the past 12 months and were provided by the Compensation Partner compensation committee:
|Job Title:||Median annual salary:||monthly.||Plus:|
|Team Leader Call Center||27.768€||2.314€||504€|
|call center agent||21.720€||1.810€|
|Deputy Head of Department||38.634€||3.219€||411€|
|Nurse / nurses||33.701€||2.808€|
|Housekeeper / in||23.117€||1.926€|
|Restaurant / -frau||21.337€||1.778€|
The employee perspective
A team leader position is to be filled and the boss has already someone in the visor, which would fit well. What at first sounds very flattering to the chosen one, however, can, on closer examination, bring more disadvantages than advantages. In all five occupational groups, the next highest level of management assumes overall responsibility for day-to-day business and must help out or step in in the event of a staff shortage.
All professions have in common that high quality standards in the form of health regulations or certifications must be observed and these are sometimes very costly documented. In the case of misconduct or a breach by employees, the lower management level is initially held responsible.
5 disadvantages of more responsibility, career and salary
- What many do not consider: More responsibility often means more overtime. Accountability, fluctuation, achievement of the management's goals, which must be met, and many other requirements can be enumerated when the increase in responsibility is considered in its entirety. This increases the stress factor, on the other hand, it also means more work. Often, a willingness to work overtime is assumed, which can be regarded as compensated by the salary levy.
- Reject a promotion and live well with it? From an employee perspective, this can Sense because sometimes a new job title is associated with a high level of commitment and emotional investment, without the relevant salary leveling off.
- Financially particularly negative, it can be for the restaurant manager, according to the Compensation partner only a plus of monthly gross 422 € and usually no more tip gets. This example is, however, also a special one since this position is the only one that often provides a switch for the change to self-employment. This financially unsatisfactory situation is often accepted because it serves a further career step.
- A second career jump with a significant salary increase is not really provided for in many other examples, so can the curious case occur that a teacher with many years of professional experience has a better merit than a social worker in a managerial capacity. Their salary is determined not only by more responsibility, but also by the number of children / facility area to be supervised.
- Sometimes the refusal of a promotion or the conscious decision not to send an internal application can serve the career much more. The liberalized training market offers a large number of opportunities to qualify part-time, in order to then raise the professional experience from day-to-day business to a new (salary) level.
From superiors perspective
The motives for a promoted promotion can be quite different, even if the main reason is clear: the shop should run and the employee relieve the boss. Nevertheless, a responsible handling of a promotion should take place.
A big risk is to "burn" on one post. It is not uncommon for potential candidates to draw attention to themselves who show a high level of work performance over a long period of time. A desirable property in itself - however, if there is a lack of concrete knowledge for the fulfillment of the tasks, the overwork is preprogrammed.
Employees gently build up instead of burning?
Solid familiarization and support should be a matter of course, but the boss can give the candidate more preference in a more relaxed manner - even if he is not the top performer of the team. Because someone who “rolls over” permanently will find it difficult to survive the long dry spell at a level of responsibility.
On the other hand, it would be best to build up a promising employee with care. A sophisticated talent management does not necessarily exist. Recognition and qualification can go hand in hand, if a superior thinks about Jobenrichment, offers participation in project work or even grants exemptions for further education.
The worry that money invested in the employee migrates with this is not to be swept aside, but permanently no alternative, if job satisfaction, performance and expectations of a reasonable salary development to be balanced.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Read customer feedback and buy a book on this topic at a discount: Do you like this text and want to read more information about it? Buy the right book including this text, buy it here in two languages, as a member even with a 20 percent discount. Would you like to take a look at the book first? You can do this by previewing the book look at and then purchase on the book page.
German edition: ISBN 9783965960084
English version: ISBN 9783965960091 (Translation notice)
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).