The selection is huge
According to Studieren.de, there are 649 universities in Germany, 17814 study programs and 3576 study profiles.
With this step plan, I would like to help the high school graduates as well as their parents in decision-making. This way you will find the right place to study, which fits your competences.
Level 1: What are your plans for the future?
With this question you clarify what should not be missing in your future job and what should be avoided. I recommend talking to someone about values and motivations. Even at a young age, various personality traits are so present that they accompany us throughout life.
Level 2: Which competencies can you use meaningfully?
Your interests guide you in your search for a university place. But interests say nothing about your abilities. Your competencies are decisive for the selection of a suitable study place. What are you particularly good at? Sometimes a comparison with classmates or friends helps.
Who is structured and wants clear processes or is particularly detail-oriented. Who likes to dash forward and prevail? How are you Analyzing this in detail is an important milestone on the way to your desired study place. I recommend a sparring partner with whom you can talk about all areas, such as school, leisure time, hobbies, etc. and who then also asks helpful questions.
Level 3: 4 Tips for the specific study place search
- Some universities offer tests in which you can check which degree you are suitable for. There are tests like Borakel of the Ruhr University Bochum or a Studienwahltest from the education portal Germany, Austria and Switzerland. These help to get a clearer idea of courses and career prospects.
- Furthermore, I recommend the platform whatchado.de. Professionals report from your professional day in the form of five minutes of videos.
- Create an Xing profile. As a member of this social network, you can research well here. You can see how the career path looks like people with a similar background.
- Go directly into Company and interview people who work in exciting occupations. Prepare a questionnaire. Maybe you can also arrange a taster day. Then make a pros and cons list. Of course, if you are very interested, I recommend an internship to work with you.
Level 4: Execute a reality check
- How realistic and future-oriented is your targeted study place? For the most part, it is wise to position yourself with the Bachelor in general in order to be broader.
- With a later Master and with internships you specialize.
- Read about the admission restrictions.
- Clarify the question: Is it financially viable to study in another city at all?
- Take care of subsidies, housing, etc.
At the end
Are there still uncertainties now? Then I recommend a stay abroad to let your thoughts mature.
Work and travel, working holidays, au pair work or language travel are ideal.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).