Growth mindset means a flexible attitude that allows you to be open to new things. In contrast, the Fixed Mindset is that People sticking to traditional thought patterns. Our educational system promotes the latter in particular. How does that work? Job Search alla Growth Mindset nevertheless?
- Fixed Mindset: We will definitely find a job!
- Arrogance from uncertainty?
- Scientists driving the taxi, BWLer become bicyclecuriers?
- Fixed Mindset: Victim of the Pig Cycle?
- Classic business studies fall away
- Students are inflexible
- Lack of flexibility with the fixed mindset
- 10 tips for finding a job with Growth Mindset
- Top books on the subject
- Read text as PDF
- Advice on success, goal achievement or marketing
- Book eCourse on Demand
- Skate eBook as desired
Fixed Mindset: We will definitely find a job!
Some time ago I tried the advantages of job hunting and students at a German university Networking communicate via social media. Only this time, the audience was not budding journalists, but economists. Also a group of graduates who might soon be able to hire bike couriers?
My students' enthusiasm for social media left a lot to be desired, to say the least. To Facebook one could just about get through oneself. Most found Twitter quite interesting – let's see, so the unanimous Opinions. But blogging, so the objection, simply lacks the time. And anyway, that's more for journalists.
Arrogance from uncertainty?
The books on the subject (advertising)
But what really blew my mind was the unanimous opinion that we were studying economics. We'll definitely find a job there and don't need that stuff! It may be that, as a humanities scholar, you give your all Study throughout is aware that it will be hard afterwards, can only dream of such self-confidence.
Or should one rather speak of unrealistic arrogance? Not infrequently uncertainty and arrogance are closely related. And in fact, it shows that the students are well aware that their situation may not be that great either:
Scientists driving the taxi, BWLer become bicyclecuriers?
I once asked how they came to their previous jobs. One participant reported it first with a normal one Application to have tried - and failed. It was only in the second attempt that she came to her internship via vitamin B. Quite normal in this one Company she said resignedly.
Humanities scholars always say that they can only become taxi drivers. Maybe they'll tell you soon, they'll become bicycle couriers? Well, it does not have to be that bad - in both cases.
Fixed Mindset: Victim of the Pig Cycle?
Discounts for your success (advertising)!
But the student's experience already coincides with what Svenja Hofert once wrote in her blog: namely that business administration students will be the next victims of the pig cycle. A subject that was studied by many who didn't want to be as stupid and precarious as humanities scholars - and who may end up doing even worse.
“Quite a few still don't have a permanent job a year after graduation. Many, straight Women, also work as “secretary plus”, i.e. assistant. Then again, there is a lot of temp and clerical-level employment.”
Classic business studies fall away
Hofert also mentions the reasons: There are hardly any older business economists who will be dismissed in the next few years. Employee and student numbers continue to rise - with steady to falling demand.
Because: classic business administration areas such as Marketing or human resources are changing radically, thanks to social media and Internet more and more technical: Therefore, companies prefer to look for people who have the technology and Economy as an additional qualification instead of after business studies.
Students are inflexible
Hofert complains that the students are inflexible and
"For example, strive for the popular product manager positions in corporations where there is less and less - instead of building up an interesting professional profile."
However, you have to admit that it is not easy in Germany in particular to reorient yourself professionally. Too often you come across the fixed mindset, which means too often job changers encounter a lot of prejudices of straightforward careerists.
Lack of flexibility with the fixed mindset
Incidentally, I was also able to determine this lack of flexibility in my students: They preferred that hands put it on your lap than become active yourself. Because: because potential employers can find job seekers through their own web presence I aufmerksam could be, nobody believed anyway. Motto: "It's useless, so I'd rather leave it alone!"
Very innovative, the students of today.
10 tips for finding a job with Growth Mindset
That's why many people find it easier to ride even a dead horse in the Fiexd mindset than to focus on lifelong ones Things to Learn, rethink and thus letting growth mindset in. 10 tips on how to do it anyway!
- Only courage! A new start is not easy, especially in Germany. Above all, you need courage to change.
- Forget job offers: Classic job advertisements often only look for specialists with the appropriate training. Lateral entrants quickly fall through the cracks.
- Personal networks: Recommendations from friends, acquaintances and colleagues are much more sensible, especially for those changing over - they replace references.
- First the research, then the application! First of all you need all the information about the desired company and the contact person that you can get. Research exactly where you fit your qualification profile.
- Unsolicited application: If you apply on the initiative, your application is often alone on the table. That increases the chances.
- Address department: Even if it means more effort to research the contact person: Do not write to the HR department, but to the specialist department. Personnel personnel usually sort out career changers immediately.
- Selling yourself positively: Just don't give the impression they have to change! Make it clear that the switch is your wish - it looks more confident.
- Good reasons: Why did you want to change? You have probably thought it through carefully - and that is exactly what you should get across. Just don't give the impression that you ended up with this company by accident.
- Self-confidence: Your experiences so far are by no means unimportant, because they belong to them. Sell them positively and don't ride around on technical or personal deficits.
- How do you use your boss? Career changers have to be twice as confident: Underline the qualifications that you have as a career changer: high motivation, flexibility and creativity.
Top books on the subject
Read text as PDF
Acquire this text as a PDF (only for own use without passing it on according to Terms and conditions): Please send us one after purchase eMail with the desired title supportberufebilder.de, we will then send the PDF to you immediately. You can also purchase text series.
Advice on success, goal achievement or marketing
Book eCourse on Demand
Up to 30 lessons with 4 learning tasks each + final lesson as a PDF download. Please send us one after purchase eMail with the desired title supportberufebilder.de. Alternatively, we would be happy to put your course together for you or offer you a personal, regular one eMail-Course - all further information!
Skate eBook as desired
If our store does not offer you your desired topic: We will be happy to put together a book according to your wishes and deliver it in a format of yours Choice. Please sign us after purchase supportberufebilder.de