The greatest change in education
Far away from the stuffy classrooms and dusty chalkboards of the past, learning now takes place everywhere - on a wide variety of devices. COVID-19 is responsible for perhaps the greatest change in recent times: 1,2 billion children had to learn their stuff at home at the height of the pandemic.
The Internet and the e-learning platforms offered there now provide knowledge on demand. Schools, universities and Companies of all sizes fight a fierce battle for learners. The online education market is projected to be worth $ 325 billion over the next several years - and that prediction comes from before the lockdown forced educational institutions around the world to move to online.
Learning with Artificial Intelligence and Augmented Reality
Thanks to mobile devices, cloud communication and interactive live videos, learning in the virtual classroom, online support by tutors and online collaboration have become a reality. Regardless of age and origin, people acquire their knowledge via digital platforms. In the US, the proportion of students who do not study the traditional way is now higher than the proportion of the “normal”: 70 percent of all Bachelor candidates complete their higher education online. Many of them try to combine work, family and studies and would like to learn independently under flexible conditions.
These digitally savvy students live in a world where Artificial Intelligence (AI), Augmented Reality (AR) and hyperpersonalization shape their daily consumer experience. They expect the same from their learning environment: a seamless, convenient and personal online experience.
Big challenges for educational institutions
The change in the sector brings its own challenges for educational institutions: rising teaching costs, tighter budgets, more intense competition and, more recently, social distancing. You need to ask yourself how they are delivering high school and college students a digital experience that meets their growing needs. At the same time, learning has to become more efficient.
It is not just about making teaching content available, but about packing it into an experience that meets the increasing demands of students and teachers. After all, classes today take place across multiple touchpoints and channels. Modern tools are needed that connect with learners and create a more productive, intuitive and personalized learning and teaching experience.
How interfaces support learning
The technology that can be used to support interactions in education and many other areas is digital communication APIs. API stands for Application Programming Interface and is a standard technology that makes certain software functionalities usable for any organization.
With communication APIs, channels such as voice, video and messaging can be easily integrated into any application or service.
10 ideas for a better digital teaching experience
Here are ten ideas that you, as an education provider, can use to redesign the classroom experience using communication APIs:
- Inexpensive, digitally accessible offer: Lower course costs and help students balance their study effort with their busy schedule. To do this, offer onlineCourses with interactive live video, voice and messaging elements.
- Reduce administrative tasks for teachers: Take the pressure off the faculty by automating communication with students. In this way teachers and lecturers can devote themselves to their actual task.
- Increase student and enrollment numbers: With interactive online offers, traditional universities have the opportunity to increase the number of their students and to position themselves better in a national or international comparison. The University of Missouri, for example, is relying on online degree programs to expand: it wants to increase the number of enrollments from 75.000 to 100.000.
- Shorten study times: Learning online and communicating digitally: With this combination, pupils and students can complete theCourses at their own pace. For example, the College for America uses communication technology to provide skills-based self-paced study for up to 350.000 students. In just 100 days they can acquire the associate degree, a kind of preliminary stage to the bachelor's degree.
- Promote participation: Send automatic class reminders to students and parents on their preferred communication channels. This increases the number of participants and makes it possible to plan around participants who do not appear.
- Student A protected, seamless on-demand learning experience on their favorite channels increases the satisfaction and motivation of pupils and students. This is proven by studies: learners are significantly more engaged when discussions and communication via social media such as Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp will be continued.
- Learn from international experts: Promote collaboration with professionals, experts, researchers and renowned Professoraround the world using tools such as interactive video conferencing with screen sharing and screen annotation capabilities.
- Improve learning outcomes: Studies show that 70 percent of students perform better in a mixed learning environment than in classroom teaching. Take different learning styles into account: Offer a mixed teaching concept in which, in addition to traditional knowledge transfer, there is also space for interactive collaboration and live videos.
- Include context information: Make lecturers, tutors and other employees work more efficiently and intuitively: Use embedded, context-sensitive communication tools to provide them with the right background information about their students at the right time.
- More security through simple phone number verification: Make your system more secure and prevent the wrong users from logging in: When registering and other account activities, ensure that only pupils, students and teachers with access authorization can access your platform - using simple two-factor authentication.
Conclusion: Education providers should actively use the possibilities of redesign
Even if the time after Corona brings with it many new challenges for the education system, there are plenty of opportunities to redesign the student and teacher experience.
The education providers just have to look around and actively use these opportunities in order to be successful in the long term for those interested in continuing education. Lifelong learning is the motto.
More knowledge - PDF download, eCourse on demand or personal advice
Offline download: Download this text as PDF - Read usage rights, Because we do not automatically submit the title of this text for privacy reasons: When buying in "interests" the title register if support is needed. After buying text exclusively Download at this URL (please save). Or for a little more directly an entire book or eCourse with this text buy, read on.
Your eCourse on Demand: Choose your personal eCourse on this or another desired topic, As a PDF download. Up to 30 lessons with each 4 learning task + final lesson. Please enter the title under "interests". Alternatively, we are happy to put together your course for you or offer you a personal regular eMailCourse including supervision and certificate - all further information!
Consultant packages: You want to increase your reach or address applicants as an employer? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).