In the course of globalization, virtual work has almost become a matter of course in everyday work. Still, many managers keep the virtual one Communication still for the second best way. But is face-to-face communication really always the best way?
New leadership concepts are necessary
To in the virtual Working world To achieve the best possible results, managers must develop leadership concepts and rethink their previous leadership habits.
The “virtual” leadership of People is a new one Disciplinethat differs from traditional leadership strategies. When managers learn to use digital opportunities effectively, they become better leaders in all areas.
The top 10 of communication in virtual teams
Managers should therefore consider the following 10 top tips to get the most out of their virtual teams.
- Remember: In virtual space, many areas are reinforced: In virtual meetings, the participants listen to the manager more intensively than is often the case in face-to-face communication. Weaknesses in the arguments are perceived by other participants much faster. Managers must therefore develop a strong level of self-confidence and learn how to control their emotions, react to situations and express themselves verbally.
- Listen carefully: Most managers are trained to pay attention to the body language of their counterparts and to take visual stimuli into account. This does not apply in virtual space. To lead successfully here, leaders need to listen more closely and develop a “seventh sense” to connect with their employees.
- Create a common virtual space: Each individual participant should be connected electronically to the others. A mix between virtual and other participants, for example placed around a microphone, does not work.
- The right working environment is important: Participants should be alone and undisturbed in a quiet room - not in a large office, an airport lounge or on the train. All participants should wear a headset that covers both ears. Telephone connections are preferable to Internet-based connections because they provide better sound quality and are more common. Participants should log 10 minutes before the start of the meeting so that technical problems can be solved in time.
- Consider the different time zones: Appointments should be planned in such a way that the employees can participate in the virtual meetings at humane times. If this is not always possible, the dates should be adapted to the needs of the participants. Thus, the same person does not always have to attend the virtual meetings at an unpleasant time, such as the 3 clock.
- Plan enough time: Schedule a time buffer before the meeting that will allow you and the attendees to prepare. At the beginning of the meeting, take the time to get used to it instead of going to the job. End the meeting by allowing the attendees to leave and ask if anyone has something to add before signing out - similar to a virtual handshake.
- Plan the course of the meeting: Think carefully about what the participants should have read and prepared before the meeting. Send the agenda in advance to all participants and ask for their feedback. When you use presentations, they prepare not only content-related slides but also process-specific slides.
- Help the participants to focus: A “concentration exercise” at the beginning of the meeting can allow participants to mentally complete the topic that they have previously dealt with in order to be fully involved.
- Learn to deal with silence: Most people feel uncomfortable when it is quiet and try to break through by repeating the information. Silence does not mean that people are absent. As a rule, they think about the task and think about how to respond. Give them the time to think in peace.
- Build relationships and maintain them: Relationships are the cornerstone of virtual leadership. Managers should spend a certain amount of time dealing with each and every team member. There are good experiences with concepts such as the “virtual coffee corners”. These are meetings without agenda to which people are invited to meet virtually and to discuss things that are currently on their minds.
Top books on the subject
Read text as PDF
Acquire this text as a PDF (only for own use without passing it on according to Terms & Conditions): Please send us one after purchase eMail with the desired title supportberufebilder.de, we will then send the PDF to you immediately. You can also purchase text series.
Book eCourse on Demand
Up to 30 lessons with 4 learning tasks each + final lesson as a PDF download. Please send us one after purchase eMail with the desired title supportberufebilder.de. Alternatively, we would be happy to put your course together for you or offer you a personal, regular one eMail-Course - all further information!
Skate eBook as desired
If our store does not offer you your desired topic: We will be happy to put together a book according to your wishes and deliver it in a format of yours Wahl. Please sign us after purchase supportberufebilder.de
Corporate publishing and advice
You want to publish, increase your reach or as an employer Candidate speak to? For these and other topics we offer special Consultant packages (overview) - For example, a personal phone call (price is per hour).
Post a Comment