The cover letter of an application, too cover letter called represents for many Candidate poses a challenge, especially in the case of an unsolicited application. The 10 most important do's and don'ts at a glance.
- The perfect cover letter for your unsolicited application?
- The way to the perfect cover letter
- Top books on the subject
- Read text as PDF
- Advice on success, goal achievement or marketing
- Book eCourse on Demand
- Skate eBook as desired
The perfect cover letter for your unsolicited application?
You have an interesting one Company discovered and want to take the initiative apply? Then it's time to whip your application documents into shape. Is the Curriculum vitae once updated, the requirement profile of the position must be examined more closely and then the letter of application be written.
"Dear Sir or Madam ...," Hello Mr. Meier ... "," I hereby apply ... "Cover letters for applications are tricky and nobody really knows what to write. There spiegelt your cover letter Motivation and skills.
The way to the perfect cover letter
The books on the subject (advertising)
Dr. Job wants to make applicants as easy as possible and reveals five do's and don'ts that you should always keep in mind when writing the application text. What should not be missing? What can you do without today?
- Take a look: What are you applying for? Make reference to the title of the vacant position and the company in the subject of your application. This is easy with a job advertisement, because you use the original designation used in the job description (e.g. “Process / chemical engineer (m / f) at XY Co. KG.”) To praise the company and, for example, to praise its good reputation. But even the salutation has some pitfalls: keep it general or address someone directly? If you cannot find the name of a specific contact person, it is worth calling and asking the company: "Who can I address my application to ...?" This shows commitment and interest.
- Use your cover letter also for form applications: Form applications are all the rage. This is mainly due to the fact that they are extremely practical due to the time saved - especially for companies. But for applicants it often means here: Only an application with a cover letter is a complete application! As a rule, forms do not exempt the applicant from enclosing a full cover letter. This can usually be integrated under the heading “Upload more documents” (or similar). You will find a reference to the required documents under the information on the application process.
- Leave a signature: Insert a handwritten signature at the end of your application text. Together with your name in block letters, the credibility and validity of your application text will help you and must not be missing in a professional cover letter, as well as in the CV. Use an appropriate pen and scan the borderless borderline.
- Stay consistent: Even if the curriculum vitae and the cover letter are separated files, they still create your digital application portfolio. Therefore, you should pay attention to a uniform layout - not only the font, but also the font size, the line spacing as well as the foot and / or header are to be found in cover letter and CV.
- Summarize: Certainly you have a lot to tell, especially when it comes to explaining gaps in your CV or changing your business, and to put them in the right light. But in general, a cover letter should not be more than one page. Therefore, focus on your essential professional qualifications that are relevant to the job and specifically formulate your motivation. If you can convince here, there is still enough space to explain everything else in the personal conversation.
Discounts for your success (advertising)!
- Avoid unconcrete: Take enough time when writing your application text. The reader should realize that you really have looked at the job. Qualities such as the ability to work in a team, flexibility and a sense of responsibility are important, but usually do not set them apart from other applicants. Take a close look at the company and think about how you can reconcile your particular strengths with the requirements profile of the potential position. For example, if the job requires an “independent and conscientious way of working”, you could prove your experience in the independent management of projects that require a high degree of self-organization, conscientiousness and a sense of duty.
- Do not hide your personality: Be individual and avoid standard phrases such as “… I am applying for the position…” or “… I was able to identify myself with the profile of the advertised position”. Be yourself - dare to give your application a personal touch, whether with a little humor, a special writing style or a creative start. Show with a little flair why you are the ideal candidate for the company.
- Avoid clerical errors: Please handle your application conscientiously. After all, there is nothing more annoying than grammar or spelling mistakes caused by pure negligence. In the worst case, even if the other qualifications meet the requirements of the position, this even threatens to be selected from the application process. To avoid these mistakes, ask friends or acquaintances to read with an alert eye over your text. Alternatively, it helps to cover the cover letter a few hours and then have a look again.
- Do not make it hard for the reader: Just like with a well-written story, put sections of meaning. This will help the reader to understand your application text more easily. Remember: a HR manager usually does not spend more than two minutes per application (according to our experience). So write an exciting short story and not a novel. You should also avoid long nested sentences. This contributes significantly to a positive overall impression of you and increases your chances of being shortlisted.
- Avoid inattention: You should not lose a bad word about your old or current employer, not just in the application interview, but already in the application form. This could be a sign of lack of loyalty on your part and will not be seen at a potential new employee. Nobody would like to imagine how bad his opponent could talk about him in the future.
Top books on the subject
Read text as PDF
Acquire this text as a PDF (only for own use without passing it on according to Terms and conditions): Please send us one after purchase eMail with the desired title supportberufebilder.de, we will then send the PDF to you immediately. You can also purchase text series.
Advice on success, goal achievement or marketing
You have Ask round to Career, Recruiting, personal development or increasing reach? Our AI consultant will help you for 5 euros a month – free for book buyers. We offer special ones for other topics IT services
Book eCourse on Demand
Up to 30 lessons with 4 learning tasks each + final lesson as a PDF download. Please send us one after purchase eMail with the desired title supportberufebilder.de. Alternatively, we would be happy to put your course together for you or offer you a personal, regular one eMail-Course - all further information!
Skate eBook as desired
If our store does not offer you your desired topic: We will be happy to put together a book according to your wishes and deliver it in a format of yours Choice. Please sign us after purchase supportberufebilder.de